Blockers is a 2018 American sex comedy movie directed by Kay Cannon (in her directorial debut) and written by Brian Kehoe, Jim Kehoe, Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg, and Eben Russell. The movie which is all about three comfortably middle-class teenage girls, Julie (Kathryn Newton), Kayla (Geraldine Viswanathan), and Sam (Gideon Adlon).
These girls have been friends since their first day of school. Now they’re high-school seniors, still the closest of friends. As long as 12 years later, the girls remain inseparable. When each of their parents discovers their daughters’ pact to lose their virginity at prom, they launch a covert one-night operation to stop the teens from sealing the deal.
Nevertheless, it is the three parents at the center of the action, who are both the spark and the target of the movie’s comedic inspirations. To begin with is Lisa, a single mother, whose entire world actually revolves around her daughter, Lisa. Then, Hunter, who went AWOL after cheating on his wife, Breda, is a father to the bespectacled Sam. Additionally, Mitchell, a marshmallow-hearted jock dad, is a father to Kayla. Together, Leslie Mann, Ike Barinholtz, and John Cena star as a trio of parents who try to stop their daughters from breaking their virginity on prom night.
With each parent following the girls from party to party. It is then discovered that each parent has an unresolved problem behind their motivation. Hunter feels guilty for neglecting Sam during his bitter separation from her mother, who cheated on him and assaulted him in public to his humiliation. Meanwhile, Mitchell is overprotective and in denial over his daughter’s sexuality, and thinks she needs protecting from men like Connor. Finally, a single mother, Lisa is struggling to let go of her only child, in denial over Julie’s plans to go with Austin to UCLA instead of to the University of Chicago, forty-five minutes away.
However, the movie tells of the familiar tune that parents silently root for their boys to be sexually active but are petrified by the thought of their daughters’ sexuality.
The movie is produced by Evan Goldberg, Seth Rogen, James Weaver, Chris Fenton, Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg. The film was originally produced under the name “The Pact”, referring to the girls’ agreement to lose their virginity.
Blockers Movie Cast
- Leslie Mann as Lisa Decker, Julie’s single mother.
- Ike Barinholtz as Hunter, Sam’s absent father who cheated on his wife, leading to divorce.
- John Cena as Mitchell, Kayla’s overprotective, emotional and sports-obsessed father.
- Kathryn Newton as Julie Decker, Lisa’s daughter.
- Amelia Oswald and Audrey Casson as 12-year-old Julie.
- Anniston Almond as 5-year-old Julie.
- Aubree McGuire as Young Julie.
- Geraldine Viswanathan as Kayla, Mitchell and Marcie’s daughter.
- Anjal Jain and Madeline Erwin as 12-year-old Kayla.
- Noor Anna Maher as 5-year-old Kayla.
- Gideon Adlon as Sam, Hunter’s daughter.
- Hannah Goergen as 5-year-old Sam.
- Miles Robbins as Connor, Kayla’s prom date.
- Graham Phillips as Austin, Julie’s boyfriend.
- Jimmy Bellinger as Chad, Sam’s prom date.
- June Diane Raphael as Brenda, Sam’s mother, and Hunter’s ex-wife.
- Jake Picking as Kyler.
- Hannibal Buress as Frank, Sam’s stepfather.
- Sarayu Blue as Marcie, Mitchell’s wife, and Kayla’s mother.
- Gary Cole as Ron, Cathy’s husband, and Austin’s father.
- Gina Gershon as Cathy, Ron’s wife, and Austin’s mother.
- Ramona Young as Angelica, Sam’s crush.
- T.C. Carter as Jayden.
Blockers have grossed $39.5 million in the United States and Canada, and $15.7 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $55.2 million, against a production budget of $21 million, as of April 17, 2018.
Blockers Movie Overview
- Genre:- Comedy
- Directed By:- Kay Cannon
- Written By:- Brian Kehoe, Jim Kehoe
- Runtime:-102 minutes
- Studio:- Universal Pictures
- Release Date:- April 6, 2018
- Country:- United States
- Language:- English
- Budget:- $21 million
- Box Office:- $67.8 million