This is a new virus, it is called the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-COV-2), it was found to be the reason for the disease outbreak that started in 2019 in China.
It was declared as a pandemic by the World Health Organization(WHO) in March 2020. The pandemic is been monitored by the World Health Organisation alongside other public health groups, like the U.S.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), they also give an update of it on their websites. Recommendations and tips for preventing and treating the deadly virus have also been provided by these groups.
How does it spread
It is observed proven that the virus spreads from one person to another among those who are in close contact (contact within 6 feet, or about 2 meters). The virus spread when someone who is infected sneeze or coughs and respiratory droplets comes out and touches those who are not infected.
Symptoms of Coronavirus
Coronavirus symptoms can be mild in most cases and tend to be severe in some cases. This includes a fever, dry cough, shortness of breath, and some may not show any symptoms as it tends to appear 2 to 14 days of being infected.
Can Coronavirus be treated?
There is no vaccine for the deadly disease yet. No antiviral treatment has been recommended for the treatment of coronavirus. The only treatment available is directed to relieving the symptoms before it grows.
How then can I protect myself from coronavirus
WHO and CDC have recommended the following tips to avoid coronavirus.
- Avoid being in crowded gatherings or large events
- Stay about 6 feet or about 2 meters away from anyone showing the symptoms of the sickness.
- If the virus is spreading in your community, distance your self and other people, especially when you are vulnerable (Having other sickness or being prone to be sick due to weak immune system).
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds regularly. If you do not have access to soap and water you can use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that has 60% alcohol to wipe your hands regularly.
- When you cough or sneeze use your elbow or a tissue to cover your nose and mouth and dispose of the tissue immediately.
- Always clean and disinfect surfaces you touch constantly.
- If you have serious sickness and you feel prone to the virus check the doctor for a hint to stay safe.
However, the CDC does not advise healthy people in wearing a face mask in protecting themselves from respiratory sicknesses, including coronavirus. You are advised to wear a mask when a health care provider asks you to do so.
What will I do if I have coronavirus symptoms?
If you are exposed to the virus, you will develop symptoms just as listed above. You need to contact your doctor for a medical check and advice. Before going to see the doctor or hospital. Inform the health care provider ahead so they will implement measures not to expose others.
Take the following steps to avoid the virus from spreading.
- Stay home, do not go to public places, except you go for medical care.
- Avoid using public transportation if possible.
- Wear a mask
- Isolate yourself from other people in your home.
- If possible use a separate bathroom.
- Stop sharing anything in your house, like dishes, glasses, bedding, and other items at home.