Ocean’s 8 movie also styled onscreen as Ocean’s Eight is a 2018 American heist comedy film directed by Gary Ross. The film is a spin-off from Steven Soderbergh‘s Ocean’s trilogy was written by Ross and Olivia Milch.
The plot follows a group of women, Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling, Rihanna, Sarah Paulson, Awkwafina, and Helena Bonham Carter. These women led by Debbie Ocean, the estranged sister of Danny Ocean, who plans on robbing the Met Gala.
Debbie, after spending five years, eight months and twelve days in prison planning a heist. Successfully convinces her partner-in-crime and friend Lou to take part in her heist, she proceeds to recruit more crooks. Debbie goes on to recruit street hustler Constance, computer cracker Leslie a.k.a. Nine Ball, fashion designer Rose Weil, and jewelry maker Amita, profiteer Tammy.
Later on, revealed in a flashback, that Debbie’s ex-lover, Claude Becker, had involved her in a fraud scheme and then testified against her, sending her to prison. Making Debbie chooses Becker to be the scapegoat for the plot to steal the Toussaint, a $150 million necklace, at New York City’s star-studded annual Met Gala as payback.
Now with all task planned and shared, they use celebrity actress Daphne Kluger as an unwitting mule. And successfully substitutes a fake necklace prepared by Tammy for the real necklace. Through various intermediaries, they sell the diamonds in small portions.
However. it was later revealed that Daphne had caught on to the plot. And out of a need for female friendship, she became a willing accomplice. She went on to successfully plant evidence in Becker’s residence, Setting him up as a suspect in insurance investigator John Frazier’s fraud probe. The crew, just realizing more than just neckless had being taken by Debbie and Lou during the commotion at the Met museum. Thereby increasing everyone’s share of the take. Now we see a montage of each crew member living their best life. Then, Debbie visits her brother’s grave and drinks an olive martini, claiming he would have loved the heist.
Ocean’s 8 Movie Cast
- Sandra Bullock as Debbie Ocean, a professional thief, and Danny Ocean’s sister.
- Cate Blanchett as Lou, Debbie’s girlfriend and partner in crime.
- Anne Hathaway as Daphne Kluger, a celebrity and the target of the heist.
- Mindy Kaling as Amita, a jewelry maker.
- Sarah Paulson as Tammy, a suburban mom, and profiteer.
- Awkwafina as Constance, a thief.
- Rihanna as Nine Ball, a technical genius whose real name is Leslie.
- Helena Bonham Carter as Rose Weil, a fashion designer.
- Richard Armitage as Claude Becker, an art dealer and Debbie’s ex-boyfriend who got her sent to prison.
- James Corden as John Frazier, the insurance fraud investigator who looks into the theft.
Ocean’s 8 Movie Overview
- Genre(s):- Action, Adventure, Comedy
- Release Date:- June 8, 2018 (United States)
- Directed By:- Gary Ross
- Produced By:- Steven Soderbergh, Susan Ekins
- Written By:- Gary Ross, Olivia Milch.
- Country:- United States
- Language:- English
- Run Time:- 110 minutes
- Budget:- $70 million
- Box Office:- $54.1 million