A lot of Facebook users are looking for a way to protect their Facebook account from hackers, using just your password isn’t enough. In this article, you will learn how to protect your Facebook account using two-factor authentication, with your password.
What is two-factor authentication
This is a security feature that helps protect your Facebook account from hackers in addition to your password. If you want to set a two-factor authentication, you will be asked to enter a special login code or confirm your login attempt each time someone tries accessing Facebook from a browser or mobile device that is not recognized by Facebook. You will also get an alert if someone tries to log in from a browser or mobile device that is not recognized by Facebook.
Facebook previously require a phone number in order to set up two-factor authentication, which helps prevent account lock-outs. But the features have been redesigned to make the process easier to use third-party authentication apps like; Duo Security and Google Authenticator on both mobile and desktop. The phone number is no longer mandatory in order to use two-factor authentication.
In some cases, two-factor authentication is not working because the time and date on each device are not synchronized.
How to Protect your Facebook: Turn on Two-factor Authentication
To turn on two-factor authentication, all you need to do is:
- Go to the menu icon at the right corner of your Facebook and click tap on settings
- In the settings click on security and login
- Scroll down and click on ‘use two-factor authentication’
- Select a security method you want to add
- Click on continue
When you set up the two-factor authentication on Facebook, you will be asked to choose one of the following security methods:
- Login codes from a ‘third party authentication app’
- Text message (SMS) codes on your mobile phone.
You will need at least one of these set up listed above in order to use the two-factor authentication.
How to get Alerts about Unrecognized Logins to Facebook
You can also improve the security of your Facebook account by getting an alert when someone tries to log in from the device or web browser Facebook doesn’t recognize. The alert will tell you the device that tried to login and where it is located.
To get alerts about unrecognized logins, follow these simple steps:
- Go to your menu in the top right corner of Facebook and click on ‘settings’
- In the settings, click on ‘security and login’
- Scroll down to ‘setting up extra security’
- Click on ‘Get alerts about unrecognized logins’
- Choose where you want to receive your alerts (Notification, Messenger, Text messages).
- Click on ‘Save Changes’