Tag movie is a 2018 American comedy movie directed by Jeff Tomsic and written by Rob McKittrick and Mark Steilen. The movie which is Jeff Tomsic directorial debut is based on a true story that was published in The Wall Street Journal.
Tag’s movie plot follows a story about a group of grown men, Ed Helms, Jake Johnson, Hannibal Buress, Jon Hamm, and Jeremy Renner, who spend one month a year playing the game of tag. The movie also stars Annabelle Wallis, Isla Fisher, Rashida Jones, and Leslie Bibbz.
Hogan “Hoagie” Malloy, Bob Callahan, Randy “Chilli” Cilliano, Kevin Sable, and Jerry Pierce have been playing tag since 1983 during the month of May. However, Jerry remains the only member of the group who has not been tagged. This year, the game coincides with the wedding of their only undefeated player, which should finally make him an easy target. But Jerry knows they’re coming.
Hoagie recruits Bob, Chilli and Kevin for one last attempt to tag Jerry. Hoagie also revealed to them of Jerry plans to retire after this year’s game because of his upcoming marriage.
Once in their hometown, they locate Jerry and make an attempt to tag him, but are quickly overwhelmed by Jerry’s skill. Jerry introduces his fiancee Susan. As the others express disappointment over not being invited to the wedding despite their close relationship, Jerry knew he would almost certainly be tagged or at least targeted during the ceremonies. Though they came to an agreement not play the game at any wedding-related events in exchange for invitations to the wedding, several attempts to tag Jerry was made. But all came out short for now, with one of the attempts leaving Hoagie, Chilli, and Kevin in painful traps, set by Jerry.
Now with no progress so far, the group try to build a new plan. Many plans were sketched, attempts were made, but the same result. After much tricks and rescheduling of the wedding, now at the end of the ceremony after Jerry and Susan kissed Hoagie charges at Jerry. But as always, he fails and instead ends up tackling the pastor to the ground.
However, Hoagie loses consciousness, while Jerry thinks is a ruse, but Anna confirms that Hoagie’s condition is serious and calls for an ambulance.
Now in the hospital with everybody present, Hoagie tells them the truth. Jerry chooses to swallow his pride and allows Hoagie to tag him after Hoagie had revealed that he had lied about Jerry quitting after the season because he wanted to reunite with his friends after he recently discovered a tumor on his liver and has advanced liver cancer; he may not be alive for the following year. Old friends start the game again, running around the hospital as they did as children. Now with the rules bent slightly so Anna and Rebecca can play as well.
Tag Movie Cast
- Ed Helms as Hogan “Hoagie” Malloy
- Jaren Lewison as Teen Hogan
- Braxton Bjerken as Young Hogan
- Jeremy Renner as Jerry Pierce
- Maxwell Ross as Teen Jerry
- Brayden Benson as Young Jerry
- Jon Hamm as Bob Callahan
- Elijah Marcano as Teen Bob
- Braxton Alexander as Young Bob
- Jake Johnson as Randy “Chilli” Cilliano
- Kevin Moody as Teen Randy
- Tyler Crumley as Young Randy
- Hannibal Buress as Kevin Sable
- Xavion Shelton as Teen Kevin
- Legend Williams as Young Kevin
- Annabelle Wallis as Rebecca Crosby, a Wall Street Journal journalist
- Isla Fisher as Anna Malloy, Hogan’s wife
- Rashida Jones as Cheryl Deakins
- Kella Raines as Teen Cheryl
- Th’Yana Star as Young Cheryl
- Leslie Bibb as Susan Rollins, Jerry’s fiancée
- Brian Dennehy as Mr. Cilliano, Randy’s father
- Sebastian Maniscalco as Pastor
Tag Movie Overview
- Genre(s):- Comedy
- Directed By:- Jeff Tomsic
- Produced By:- Mark Steilen, Todd Garner
- Written By:- Mark Steilen
- Country:- United States
- Language:- English
- Run Time:- 100 minutes
- Budget::- $28 million
- Box Office:- $48.3 million