The Boys is an American superhero web television series produced by Hartley Gorenstein and developed by Eric Kripke for Amazon. The series is based on the comic book of the same name by Darick Robertson and Garth Ennis. The Boys follows the eponymous team of vigilantes as they fight back against superpowered individuals who abuse their abilities.
The first season premiered on July 26, 2019, ahead of the premiere, Amazon renewed it for a second season, which is set to premiere on September 4, 2020.
Genre: Superhero, Thriller, Black comedy, Drama, Action
Based on: The Boys by Darick Robertson and Garth Ennis
Developed by: Eric Kripke
Composer: Christopher Lennertz
Executive producers: Pavan Shetty, Seth Rogen, Eric Kripke, Evan Goldberg, Ori Marmur, James Weaver, Neal H. Moritz, Ken F. Levin, Dan Trachtenberg, and Jason Netter
Producer: Hartley Gorenstein
Production location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cinematography: Evans Brown, Jeff Cutter, Dylan Macleod, and Jeremy Benning
Editor: David Trachtenberg, Nona Khodai, David Kaldor, and Cedric Nairn-Smith
Production company: Sony Pictures Television, Amazon Studios, Kripke Enterprises, Point Grey Pictures, Original Film, Kickstart Entertainment, and KFL Nightsky Productions
Distributor: Amazon Studios
Country: United States
Original language: English
No. of seasons: 1
No. of episodes: 8
Original release: July 26, 2019 – present
- Karl Urban as Billy Butcher: He is a former CIA operative who distrusts all individuals with superpowers, and also the leader of the Boys.
- Jack Quaid as Hughie Campbell: He is a member of the Boys who joins the vigilantes after his girlfriend is killed by A-Train.
- Antony Starr as John / Homelander: an extremely powerful leader of the Seven. He is a sadistic, arrogant, and cares little about the well-being of those he professes to protect.
- Erin Moriarty as Annie January / Starlight: a new member of the Seven and a light-emitting superhero.
- Dominique McElligott as Queen Maeve: Queen Maeve is a veteran member of the Seven who wanted to protect innocent lives.
- Jessie T. Usher as A-Train: He is a speedster member of the Seven, who is determined to maintain his status as the fastest speedster, resulting in him becoming addicted to Compound-V.
- Laz Alonso as Marvin / Mother’s Milk (MM): A member of the Boys responsible for organizing and planning the vigilantes’ operations.
- Chace Crawford as Kevin / the Deep: He possesses the ability to communicate with aquatic life and breathe underwater.
- Tomer Capon as Frenchie: A member of the Boys and mercenary skilled in infiltration, ordinance, munitions, and communications.
- Karen Fukuhara as Kimiko / the Female: She is a mute, feral member of the Boys with enhanced strength and regenerative healing.
- Nathan Mitchell as Black Noir: He is a silent member of the Seven. He possesses superhuman strength and agility and conceals his physical appearance behind a dark costume.
- Elisabeth Shue as Madelyn Stillwell: She is a scheming, charismatic vice president of Vought International.
- Simon Pegg as Hugh Campbell Sr: He is Hughie’s father.
- Jennifer Esposito as Susan Raynor: She is the deputy director of the CIA.
- Colby Minifie as Ashley Barrett: Ashley is a publicist for Vought International.
- Ann Cusack as Donna January: Starlight’s mother.
- Christian Keyes as Nathan: He is A-Train’s older brother
Episodes in The Boys
- The Name of the Game
- Get Some
- The Female of the Species
- God for the Soul
- The Innocents
- The Self-Preservation Society
- You Found Me
- The Big Ride
- Proper Preparation and Planning
- Nothing Like It in the World
- Over the Hill with the Swords of a Thousand Men
- We Gotta Go Now
- The Bloody Doors Off
- Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
- What I Know
The Boys series is set in a universe where superpowered individuals are recognized as heroes by the public and they are owned by powerful corporation Vought International. The powerful corporation Vought International markets and monetizes them. Outside of their heroic personas, most of the heroes are corrupt and arrogant. The series primarily focuses on two groups: “the titular Boys,” vigilantes looking to keep the corrupted heroes under control, and “the Seven,” Vought International’s premier superhero team. The Boys are led by Billy Butcher, and the Seven are led by the egotistical and unstable Homelander.
The Boys season 2
Season 2 of The Boys is yet to be released, and there has been no plot for it yet. But the trailer is out and it seems some of the season 1 cast will star in season 2.